Hola a tod@s, my dear friends.
A must read. Today we rescue the ABCD of the Dignity-conservation of care (Chochinov adapted):
- The attitudes and assumptions may affect the practice.
- Reflect on your own life experiences affect the way in which care is provided.
- Please note that the attitudes and assumptions of other doctors “may affect the way of approaching patients.
- Teach students to be aware of how their perspectives and presumptions can shape behaviors.
- Behaviors should always improve the dignity of the patient.
- Show with non-verbal methods how patients and their families are important to you.
- Don’t be in a hurry; sit and make eye contact when talking to patients and their families.
- Turn off the digital devices and avoid jargon when you talk to patients and their families.
- Compassion is the sensitivity to the suffering of others and the desire to alleviate it.
- Get personal stories (narratives) that accompany the patient’s disease.
- Recognize the effect the disease has on the life of your patient experience.
- Recognize and alleviate the suffering.
- Dialogue must be recognized beyond personality of the disease.
- Explore the most importatn values for your patients.
- Ask who should get more involved to help your patients in difficult times.
- Encourage patients and their families to reflect and remember the past (reminiscence).
What would be happend if someday all of us put this in practice?
Happy Thursday, Gabi